Aromatherapy is not just a case of making the room smell nice or playing with sweet smelling oils. Aromatherapy is a method of enlisting one of our most powerful senses – the sense of smell to help alleviate illness in the body. It takes an aromatic oil four minutes to begin to work in a bath or the same amount of time if you are in a vaporised room. The treatment enlists not only one sense but the absorption through our largest organ – the skin.
Oils need to be specifically designed to meet your needs and it is not just a case of mixing a few together. They need to be balanced and often, if used incorrectly they can have reverse affects. However it is alright to experiment with them if you are careful. If you need them for specific illnesses however, it is best to consult a professional.
• When using oils always make sure they are natural as ones with a chemical base release chemicals into your bloodstream or into the air when you burn them. Natural ones will cost you more but it is worth it.
• Never use undiluted oils straight on your skin. Some may cause irritation. Dilute in a carrier oil – grapeseed, apricot, almond are a few. Follow recipes to be safe.
• Do not use Neroli or Rosemary if you are pregnant or epileptic.
• Do not use Ylang Ylang if you have LOW blood pressure.
• Less is best when mixing oils.
• As a rule go by what smells nice to you, and don’t mix more than two or three together at a time.
Oils are either low, middle or high and need to be balanced so do a little reading first.
AROMATHERAPY FOR SUNBURN AND OILS TO ENHANCE YOUR MOOD
Do you need a lift to revitalise your mood? Have you been out in the sun a little too long? Try the following recipes to get you going.
• For sunburn – 3 drops Chamomile oil, 2 drops Geranium in 1 teaspoon (5ml) of Sweet Almond oil as a carrier and apply several times daily.
• A lotion with Tea Tree oil and Aloe Vera can be very soothing. You can buy the unscented base in health food stores and add the ingredients.
• A bath to lift your spirits after a hard days work – 5 drops Geranium oil, 4 drops Bergamot, 3 drops Allspice, 3 drops Orange in 1 teaspoon or 5 ml of your favourite carrier oil.
• Massage – Perhaps follow with a mood uplifting massage of upper chest, back of neck and shoulders in 5 drops Ylang-Ylang, 4 drops Ginger, 3 drops Patchouli, 3 drops Rose in 15ml (one tablespoon) of your favourite carrier oil.
Not sure you want to try it yourself?
We can develop a specific aromatherapy blend to suit your needs and deliver it to your door.